Why have a Progressive Web App?
5 January, 2018: 250 words, 1-minute read
All our websites and apps have been implemented as Progressive Web Apps (PWA) since 2016. The concept is new so clients rarely ask for a PWA, but it seems irresponsible not to add the technologies. The benefits are considerable:
- users can easily add your site/app to their mobile or desktop home screen
- performance is improved because files can be cached on-demand or in advance
- sites/apps can be made to work offline
- PWA technology can normally be applied to existing web sites and applications
- they can be updated like normal web applications without App Store complexities
- PWAs can be hundreds of times smaller and more efficient than native mobile apps
- functionality still works everywhere - even when a device doesn't support PWA technologies.
PWAs use standard web development APIs and are already supported in Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Vivaldi, and Brave. Edge and Safari are coming soon.
Web agency support
Unfortunately, few web development agencies have adopted PWA techniques. Clients don't know it's an option and developers often lack appropriate knowledge. However, the core concepts are simple:
- Enable secure HTTPS (preferably HTTP/2) on your system.
- Create a web app manifest with information about your app's name, icons, colours etc.
- Create a service worker. This is the root of PWA complexity but even an empty file will enable some functionality.
Please contact us to discuss how:
- your site or application could become a Progressive Web App, or
- your developers could benefit from a few hours PWA training.